Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Epic Hero: Part One

First the feeling of being uncomfortable. This does not last too long as it is replaced quickly by the desire to be closer. After a period of not quenching that thirst, the desire transforms into a longing. You long to hold and be held, to cry while laughing instead of just crying. The real problem begins when the longing makes it way to depression. Every thought in your mind is centered on a future of loneliness and sadness. You try and act happy even when the rivers of fire that are your desire find their way to your tear ducts and you have to do everything in your power to keep the pain inside. The smile that is given hides the true tale of a hopeless romantic. The story always begins with hero, down on his luck and ready to end it all. As he is about to pull the trigger, a hand is placed upon his and draws his finger off the weapon. The hand is hope, the hope for something better. At first our hero is unsure, he has been hurt by this hope before. What drives us forever back to the cycle of pain when the moments of joy are far and few between? We are driven by moments of joy that are so amazingly strong that we could not live without them. I go out of my way to spend time with her for that one smile, that one glance, or that one giggle that makes everything else that I did that day worth it. It is true that hopeless romantics are really hopeless; that hopelessness is everything. If I have to feel the long periods of hopelessness just so I am allowed to look in to her eyes, even if just for a couple of seconds, and feel that moment of joyous connection, then I will suffer gladly through this bittersweet symphony. If there is one reason that I have been put on this earth I know that it has to be located somewhere deep in those beautiful eyes, framed by that short blond hair, coming from a head located on a body shaped by God himself. I know that if I hold out long enough I will be granted access to the esoteric knowledge that keeps me awake night after night . . .

Labels: