Friday, March 09, 2007

Know Thyself

The famous words of Socrates now ring through one of your ears and out the other. What if you didn't just pass that thought like yesterdays lunch? What if, even for a second, you focused all of your thoughts inward? What would you come up with? (all of the questions seemed fitting considering the topic originator)

During my Western Civilizations class we started our "Rational Philosophy" section. To my delight, the professor is REQUIRING a Socratic discussion!! The rules are, "If you do not contribute to the discussion, you will fail the fucking class!" (his words, not mine). It makes me so happy to see a professor placing an importance on conversation. The class, however, is responding in the exact way that I thought they would; they are not coming to class and some are dropping the class all together . . . . fuckers.

The upside to the section is that I have really started looking at my self and learning more. I have come to a list of 'ingredients' that it takes to make David. The list is as follows (no particular order)
  • The love of life . . . all life. In order to be David one should be able to look at every situation, no matter how depressing, and see the knowledge and experienced gained during it. This does not exclude periods of raging crying, swearing, and vomiting (if the situation calls for it)
  • Social interaction. One must value the act of socialization. There is a lot of good things to be had in this world and the sad part is that they are not in you. I believe that all of the good in the world is located in other people. This brings me to the next point.
  • Value conversation. This has to be brought up again. By your self, you are pointless. You cannot grow, change, nor evolve. You are stuck in the endless cycle of normality . . . a.k.a. death. The only way to break that is through intellectual interaction with others in the form of conversation.
  • Be hedonistic. Just as was believed by that ancient Minoans, we must not forget the value in fun. Unlike all of the people out there that have Jesus' dick in their mouth, I believe that every choice that you make should be for your enjoyment. Yes, you can still give to charity, but realize that you are not "doing it for the kids," you are doing it because it makes YOU feel like a better person for it . . . IT IS FOR YOU.
  • Lastly, Always strive for more. Whether it be money, sex, booze, love, or food, you should never give up trying to attain it. In the great words of my Grandmother, "I do not care what you do Mijo, as long as you are the best at it."
I will be adding more points as I realize them, but I think that this is a good start. Think this over and see what you come up with. If it has some quality please post it as a comment, however, if I do not approve of it, I will delete it and ridicule you for your stupidity. . . .

Labels: